Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sucky start to holiday season!

My day started off great....woke up feeling rested, Addy cooperated getting up and dressed and we headed to work/daycare. My sessions at work went well and fast and before I knew it, my day at work had ended. I was off to pick up peapod from school. She had a great day...no complaints from her teachers. I knew Adam wouldn't be home in time to cook, and I was exhausted and didn't feel like cooking, so we agreed upon stopping at Hy-vee for some goodies (I have been craving fresh fruit, which is great to crave.) So Addy and I picked up our fruit, milk, etc and some dinner from the Chinese department. We headed to the checkout lane and paid for our groceries.
While loading the cart, the manager gets on the mic and says: "the owner of a silver grand prix with Iowa plates, please come to the customer service desk." Not thinking anything bad, I thought maybe I left Addy's Dvd player on, or my tire is flat or something. Nope, he looked kinda freaked out and said that my car was on fire! Yes, on fire! And the fire department had been called and on their way. Well, he lost me half way through, and I wasn't hearing correctly. So he took my hand and led me out to the parking lot. Yep, our silver pontiac's hood, engine, everything in the front of the car was in flames. I couldn't believe my eyes. Of course, as a mommy and pretending it wasn't that bad kept thinking that Addy's blanket is in there. Where will I find another blanket to replace her blankie. And then reality hit me and hit me hard. I immediately broke into tears as I continued to watch the fire department try and extinguish the fire.
Adam was still at the hospital and of course I left my cellphone in the burning car. So the manager let me call Adam and tell him to get there fast. Addy is freaking out with the lights and sirens of the firetrucks and everyone yelling and freaking out. I felt horrible for Addy; she did great.
We headed inside and they eventually got the flames out. Adam came in and couldn't believe his eyes! So while we were trying to figure out even what in the hell to do next, we headed into the store to find a phone book to find a towing company. The car is gone....the whole front of the car is charred. While Adam was on the phone with the towing company, Addy gets a weird look on her face and looks at me and says her tummy hurts. I didn't think a lot of it; until she puked all over me. That only enhanced the evening. She continued to throw up twice more at Hyvee before we could get home to rest.
After we got home, she threw up 3 more times and is finally resting with daddy in bed. I am anxious to get to bed myself to get the night over with, but and so wound up and anxious that I can't even think about resting.

5 comments:

Aaron Burdorf said...

Oh my gosh! You poor things! I feel so bad for you guys. Hope things are on the up and up. Love you guys! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a sucky start!!! I hope you got some rest last night and everything is okay today. That is awful.
Julie

Mandy Hunecke said...

Wow! I hope everything turns out ok with it. I am just glad you guys weren't in or around it when it started. Hope things get better!!

Gregori Family Blog said...

I hope the rest of the month gets better for you guys. ((hugs))

Kimberly said...

I'm sure that the emotions of being pregnant didn't make it any better either. But like Mandy said, super glad that you guys weren't in the car!! I hope the rest of the week/month goes 10x better for you guys!!